Friday, June 13, 2008

Yahoo! Google and MSN Search Wars

Today, Tech Crunch posted a follow up to their "scoop" about Google purchasing Yahoo! Search. After their original post, Yahoo's stock plunged and there was a mass of speculation.

The post today features the full text of the agreement itself - very detailed and with much commentary.

I think this is all extraordinary. And I am concerned on many levels. I am not sure this will benefit the consumer - and marketers will be perturbed as well. Competition is good, and this will have a severe impact on the two companies being seen as competitive websites for advertising.

I am sure that Google and Yahoo! will do what they can to address the potential confusion, but I'm still concerned for what the deal will mean to marketers and consumers.