In the ever-changing world of the internet, there is no more vital information to a company than how to reach their target customers. Market research has led to new discoveries that will play a very important role in how companies market their website.
A research study at Penn State set out to classify queries made on search engines. The three categories in which all queries were divided were informational (searching for facts or topics), navigational (locating specific websites), and transactional (information related to buying a product/service). The study found quite conclusively (74% accuracy) that 80 percent of search engine queries are informational, with the remaining 20 percent divided between navigational and transactional.
The implications of this data are immense and will, no doubt, play an integral role in companies marketing strategies in the future. Classifying how search engines are used will help companies effectively and efficiently reach their target audiences.
If you are interested in learning more about this research study, the paper is available online.