Thursday, February 12, 2009

Recession Depression Prescription

There is so much negative press about the economy it can cause a personal down spiral unless you shake off the doom and gloom and get rocking and rolling.

I know. I spent the first couple days of 2009 in a state of complete paralysis worrying about what would happen this year. Once I turned my head around, I found out that its much more fun and productive to be moving forward despite any obstacles that might be in your way.

I launched myself out of the negative mental state with the following tools. If you are suffering from "The World is Coming to an End" blues, here is my prescription:


1. Do not, under any circumstances watch the news, listen to news on radio or read the business section of the newspaper. Skip it. It's bad, it'll be bad the next time you look too.

2. Take in some positive attitude. I recently discovered a GREAT podcast called Morning Coach . JB Glossinger does a brief uplifting podcast every morning (make sure you listen to JB other people do the show too, but try 1 of JB's recordings first). This podcast is also FREE on iTunes

3. Do something nice for someone else. Call a friend who is unemployed just to cheer them up. Give $1 to the guy at the side of the road.

4. Attend a Seminar or listen to Anthony Robbins tapes. I know, its corny, but Robbins is the best motivator in the world. I went to his seminar, I walked on fire the first night and after that the seminar really took off.

5. Read the new copy of Fast Company Magazine (March 2009) featuring the World's 50 Most innovative Companies. In the Letter From the Editor Robert Safian promises "You won't find Bernie Madoff, or talk of the great depression, unemployment statistics or the word 'bailout'...It's not that we have our heads in the sand. We know how challenging the business environment is. In fact, that's exactly why we tried to make this issue as upeat and busting with potential as possible. Only creativity and aggressive innovation will fuel a turnaround.

6. Exercise. Nothing beats the blues like a good sweat. See the sunrise. Watch a sunset.

I don't have my head in the sand, there are negative influences in the external environment. If you can manage your internal environment I hope you can take on a positive attitude as I did.